The Academy film Archive is part of the Academy Foundation, established in 1944 with the purpose of organizing and overseeing the Academy of motion picture Arts and Sciences’ educational and cultural activities, including the preservation of motion picture history. Although the current incarnation of the Academy film Archive began in 1991, the Academy of motion picture Arts and Sciences acquired its first film in 1929.
Located in Hollywood, California at the Pickford Center for motion picture Study, the Archive has a diverse range of moving image material. The Archive's collection comprises 107,000 titles and 230,000 separate items, including early American cinema, a vast collection of documentary films, filmed and taped interviews, amateur and private home movies of Hollywood legends, makeup, and sound test reels, and a wide selection of experimental film, as well as Academy Award-winning films, Academy Award-nominated films, and a complete collection of every Academy Awards show since 1949.
Since acquiring the Packard Humanities Institute Collection, the Archive has the world's largest known trailer collection. The Archive is also concerned with the preservation and restoration of films, as well as new technologies and methods of preservation, restoring over 1100 titles of historical and artistic importance.