LFS was founded in 1956 by Gilmore Roberts as the London School of film Technique (LSFT). Originally based on Electric Avenue in Brixton, the school moved to its current premises on Shelton Street in 1966, after a brief parenthesis in Charlotte Street, and changed its name to London film School in 1969. From 1974 to 2000, it was known as the London International film School (LIFS), and reverted to the name London film School in 2001.
LFS offers various degrees at postgraduate level: an MA in filmmaking, an MA in Screenwriting, and, in partnership with the University of Exeter, an MA in International film Business and a PhD in film by Practice. It also offers a range of short and part-time professional development courses under the LFS Workshops banner.
LFS recruits students from all over the world and is specifically constituted as an international community; around 60% of its students are from outside the United Kingdom. LFS is one of the ScreenSkills "film Academy Centres of Excellence".
The school's current director is Gísli Snær and its current chairman is Greg Dyke.