Pixlr is an online design application that allows you to create design elements without relying on a desktop application. The application is not template-based, but rather a full-fledged editor, so it requires a bit of skill. However, it allows for a lot of flexibility and creativity. The free version will store your images in the cloud and offers a wide range of design functionality. To create a YouTube video thumbnail using Pixlr, log in to your account. If you don't have a Pixlr account, create a new one. For the purpose of creating a YouTube thumbnail, the free version should cover most people's needs.
- From Pixlr's main screen, click the Pixlr E item on the top menu, then the Create New option on the left sidebar.
- Select the Web 720p format, then from the right sidebar name your project, and click the Create button.
- Add one or more images to your thumbnail by using the Layers option. Click the plus (+) under Layers.
- Select Image to choose an image to upload from your computer.
- Resize the image(s) as needed. If you are using multiple images, you can order the layers by dragging them up and down the stack to determine which image will show on top.
- Add at least one Text layer to give your thumbnail a title. Select the font type, color and size and position the text layer to make it stands out.
- From the File menu, select Save and click the Download button to save the thumbnail on your computer.