In this tutorial, we will use the Convert Video utility from Kapwing to extract a still frame from your video clip. The Convert Video utility is free and the interface is straightforward. This process will enable you to use the resulting image as a background for your YouTube thumbnail.
In the step-by-step example below, we are assuming that you are working from an existing YouTube video clip. Note that you can use the same tool to extract a still frame from a video file on your computer. Here's how to extract a still frame from a YT clip:
- Log in to your Kapwing dashboard. If you don't have a Kapwing account, create one (it's free). Click on the View All Tools item in the sidebar menu.
- Scroll down the list of tools and select Convert Video.
- In the Convert Video Online window, paste the URL of your YouTube video in the field.
- In the editor, select jpeg, use the timeline control to locate the frame you want, and click the big CREATE! button -- located at the bottom of the screen.
- Wait for the processing to complete. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.
- In the Converted Video Project window that follows once the extraction is complete, click Download.
- Open the image with an image editor and resize it to 1280 x 720.